Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A touch of culture


Just weeks after I had been complaining to my family and friends about the lack of anything cultural or any decent local restaurants in Columbia, TN a little taco stand opened up on highway 31 next to a gas station. My first experience there I pulled up after closing, feeling a bit unsafe. I walked up and the lady quickly jumped back inside to see what I wanted. I ordered the ceviche (a first for me). The ceviche came out on two perfectly crunchy tostadas. The shrimp were dime sized and abundantly scattered among fresh pico with cilantro on top. It was served with lime wedges which added a zesty touch. For a first experience with ceviche, I would highly recommend it especially at the bargain of $5.00.

Today was my second experience. I decided to order horchata. Another first for me. Not something I would order again, but I can appreciate this sweetened rice milk flavored with cinnamon and lime. Worth the experience (especially for $1 for 20 ounces) but not my cup of tea. I also ordered a taco with spicy pork and a taco with regular pork. they were topped with onions, carrots, and cilantro and served with a small shot of salsa verde and a slice of lime. The regular pork was good, but the "spicy" pork while not too spicy was perfectly seasoned and the splash of lime juice and salsa verde added a nice zing to the tender pork and soft, fresh tortillas. Some of the best tacos I have had and for only $3.00 with 20 ounces of horchata included, I would rate this as the best value for the money I have had in a long time, and I would recommend it to anyone passing through the area. As far as taste, the tacos one up any mexican restaurant in town. Maybe next time I will have the guts to try the beef cheek or beef tongue.

Did I mention the presentation with paper plates, Styrofoam cups, and aluminum foil really tops the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment